The ideal OS for Python Programming …

… has to be Linux. The number of programming tools and libraries are incredible, as well as the availability of Python specific IDEs such as eric, bpython, and especially bpython-gtk. For those who are fussy, it is not exactly like the Borland RAD or anything, but it seems to have everything that a Python programmer could want in terms of code completion. This is not because I don’t know Python, but bpython-gtk offers the user command-completion in the form of a dropdown list of all installed libraries that have the same starting letters as what you typed.

When working on a new installation, this is important, since you might also want to know what libraries are installed on your system. I get this by typing the first letter of the library name after the “import” command. The user is greeted by a scrolldown list. Let’s say I pick one of the standard libraries: math.

So, now bpython-gtk will scan the math library for its objects and methods. When I want to use the math library, I am again greeted by a dropdown list, but this time consisting of all of the functions and procedures within the math library.

Other than those two very key features, this editor is actually little more than a python interpreter swallowed inside of a Python window. While Idle does not have that feature, Idle allows you to restart the interpreter. This is not an editor, and thus it cannot be compared wtih Eric. But it’s a great little sandbox for seeing what works.