Installing Linux Mint 13.x on a USB stick

Right now, I am struggling with an installation of Mint which is slow and clunky. Of course, I am expecting a lot. I want this thing to run on a 32G thumb drive, entirely from the thumb drive, with 2Gigs of swap also on the thumb drive. I am doing this because the solid state drive on my laptop is fairly small, and there’s not really enough room to squeeze in a Linux distro.

So, I have had to put up with the installer crashing (twice), forcing me to start from scratch. But I was third time lucky and finally had a working installation. The reboot was what was expected (after telling my BIOS to look for a USB drive before looking at the internal hard drive for a boot image).

Booting into the thumb drive is slow. I should have known the bandwidth over a USB 2 connection is probably a lot less than for the internal hard drive. But in fact, everything was slow to respond to mouse clicks and the like. Even the login screen had a few seconds delay. The panel properties for the desktop, which one would think is a simple point-and-click affair, took a matter of minutes to respond when wanting to turn on or off the autohide feature for the taskbar. Getting an xterm also takes time. The most responsive part of the installation was the virtual ttys you get when you press an CTRL+ALT+F# key combination. Xterms run okay once they are running.

I was optimistic in that Mint recognized most of my hardware on my HP Thinkpad TX2, something which was a problem in the past. It even recognized my finger touch on the screen, and my webcam. And one thing I really wanted to try out was Oracle’s virtualbox, a GPL’ed vmware clone which promises to allow me to run Windows 7 from inside my Linux session.

But the setting up of virtualbox was slowed greatly due to its attempt to create a virtual disk. In fact, that pretty much made the computer useless during the setup, to the point where I gave up and rebooted. Maybe creating a 14 GB virtual disk on my thumb drive was a bad idea, but it was still about 8 gigs less than the recommended size. I think I would need to move up to at least a 64GB thumb drive and increase my swap, before I would consider making a go of that.

YouTube worked in Mozilla Firefox out of the box, but was sluggish. I dismissed the browser, and still had sound several seconds after the program terminated. Running the update manager was also worrisome, since it seems as though only a handful of sites had the requested files in the expected places, and even then, the update manager updated only slowly.

Mouse behaviour is erratic using the mousepad on the TX2, and even more so using your finger as the pointing device on the screen.

Anyway, a host of problems. If you are in my situation, best not to think of Linux unless you can afford a very large hard drive, or if you think you can get away with blowing away MS-Windows altogether.