Manjaro gets kudos for being the ideal small linux for my needs

After all is said and done, I have Manjaro running on TX2. But instead of running it on a USB, I’m running it from my hard drive, an SSD in this case. Manjaro is an offshoot of ArchLinux, but with intentions to be more user-friendly. Manjaro is new, having only reached version 0.8.0 by the end of August.

Wired, wireless, and mice of all descriptions (pen, touchpad, touchscreen) all work nicely, and fit inside of a 10GB partition I prepared for it. I gave it 2GB swap. When installing to such a small system, I didn’t waste time making additional partitions for /usr, /tmp, and /home like I always do. Instead, I just dumped the whole OS under /.

I have posted some nerdy and not-so-nerdy questions on their forums, and have been happy with their answers. From a person who comes from a traditional UNIX background (Solaris/SUN-OS, IBM, BSD, etc — LINUX came later for me, but the main distros still have a filesystem that follows FSSTND guidelines), there are some profoundly non-standard liberties that the Manjaro team took with the operating system’s design, and that is to funnel a good deal of /etc into /root. I am not sure of the benefit of that (I am guessing security would be the reason), but it does make it difficult for me, a UNIX nerd, to apply my knowledge of a typical UNIX filesystem. It appears as though most of the hundreds of files that are stored under /root consist of config files and password files.