About the previous blog entry

That entry the other day was somewhat in the form of a log. A blog entry that is a log. Imagine that.

Earlier this week, I decided to document the rescuing of my TouchSmart TM2 laptop from oblivion. It has nothing except the basic operating system installed, and it seems to give me the BSOD if I do things to it that in the laptop’s opinion is too much for it’s endurance. Such as running Microsoft Update. Such as letting it sit on my desk for a couple of hours, running while I made breakfast or something. I haven’t tried to install a single piece of any other software, just the OS.

I have certainly learned the power of good documentation from this exercise. The BSOD errors were many and varied. I rolled back the installation every time I saw one, or looked up the error code if the blue screen was on long enough. Things just seemed to get worse and worse. At one point, even doing a minimal install gave me a BSOD, and as a result, an incomplete install. At that point, I sent it, still under warranty, to an authorized repair depot, and even told them to try the install themselves (since they seem to stick to their guns about it being a “software issue”, when the only software is coming solely from the factory image). This will cost me $69.00 (plus extra costs to run MS Update), but I am pretty confident that they won’t make it past the SP1 installation, unless they really investigate the hardware beyond disk and memory. If it crashes on me again as a result of sitting on my desk or something, I am going to demand a refund (which I think will be coming from HP, which might be an issue).