Vim/vundle and its issues

I have since fixed all of my vim installations: both laptops, the entertainment centre, and my office desktop in both Cygwin-64 and Mint Linux versions.

In Cygwin, there seems to have been two versions of vim installed: one that doesn’t understand Bundle commands and one that does. Both look for vimrc files in different files, and one of them looks in ~/.vim/vimrc — which is a directory on my distro, due in large part to the installation of Vundle.

According to GitHub’s terse description of Vundle, “Vundle is short for Vim bundle and is a Vim plugin manager.” OK, so it manages plugins, or rather scripts. It allows you to do this in your .vimrc file. It claims it can take advantage of vim-scripts.org to install or search for all available scripts.

When I did the recommended “vim +BundleInstall +qall” command, it installed everything in sight (or so it would seem). Of course, being unfamiliar with vim, and being far more experienced with vi, the first thing I really noticed was the fact that some of the movement keys were re-mapped which I was used to using.  The above screenshot is taken from Linux Mint 14 after configuring Vundle. Take note of the snazzy status bar, the syntax highlighting (that’s stdio.h you see in the illustration), the line numbering and the highlighting of the current line where the cursor is placed.

While it is not my style to be enamoured of new stuff because it is new, the syntax highlighting is better than Elvis, and it has language support from several new computer languages. By “language support”, I  mean, for example, if you are editing HTML, there are commands that change tags, or change the text between the tags with a few keystrokes. Elvis cannot do that without some serious key mapping, to my knowledge. The way vim appears to do it is thorough its scripts, as they appear after installing Vundle. And of course, you can map keys under vim as well, and the key mapping appears more sophisticated.