Eterm on Windowmaker

This is Eterm, running under X-Windows in Cygwin. The root desktop image is an image of an Emacs Quick Reference, made for the desktop. Nice reason to have a transparency feature on a terminal window.

There is always something to have to consider when bringing an app into Cygwin that is not part of the Cygwin distro. I wish to make note of this here in case anyone else has this problem.

Modern window managers are configurable, but only through windows and dialogs. I prefer to configure a bit closer to the metal, so I prefer to edit scripts. The chosen X-window manager was WindowMaker, which is somewhat “modern” while still being nicely configurable, through scripts you can edit under ~/GNUstep/Library/WindowMaker along with graphics files for things such as background images and border tiles. It was nice that WindowMaker still comes with Cygwin, along with FVWM2, another favourite window manager of mine.

I noticed that Cygwin lacked a transparent terminal. You might be thinking that I forgot “mintty”, but I didn’t, since it actually runs as a process directly under Windows, not under Cygwin. Even if I execute mintty from an xterm, the terminal that comes up is not a child of X-Windows, it is a child of MS-Windows, and thus cannot be managed under X-windows.

So, Eterm at first could not compile under Cygwin, and for hours I was racking my brain as to what the problem might be, and looking through the output of the command “configure --help“, I found what solved my problem. What seemed to stop compilation were references to “utmp” and associated header files. The configure script allowed for compilation without utmp support. Utmp is used for access to system logs. This was considered not a big deal in Cygwin, since MS-Windows still has such logs. So my configure command for Eterm was:

./configure --enable-trans=yes --enable-utmp=no

From then I was able to successfully compile Eterm with the eye candy that one associates with the Enlightenment window manager, but under WindowMaker.